Monday, September 9, 2013

Review of "A Courtroom Massacre" by Mark Porto




I chose this book because the story idea fit right into one of my favorite genres to read: crime/drama/mystery.

I also abandoned this book because I couldn't go on with it.  I received this book in trade for an honest review from NetGalley and like every other book I received from NetGalley, it gets an honest review as well.

The book's premise, a man's family are victims of a robbery by gang members and what takes place in Johnny Bellows' life after he shoots the gang members, sounded like a good premise for a story.  It is still a good premise for a story.

However, this particular book, because of major issues concerning use of tense, punctuation, sentence structure, a lack of flow in dialogue and a whole host of other issues made this book impossible to complete.  As a reader, if one finds themselves having to go back and mentally correct what should be an easily read sentence, it'll eventually drive you crazy and frustrate you to the point that you can't continue to follow the story.

Anybody who writes a book gets some credit for being able to even accomplish that feat. And I do have respect for anyone who writes a book.  However, if you can't do a simple proofread or read what you write out loud to hear what it sounds like to everyone else, then don't bother to go through the effort of publishing it.

After finally abandoning the book, I took to Goodreads to see how others reviewed this book.  I also checked out Amazon to see what those reviews looked like.  What I was surprised to find was the author "correcting" one of his readers.  The author was actually explaining to the reader what he supposedly read incorrectly.  I thought books were for the reader to draw their own impressions, their own conclusions and to experience the story with the gift of their imagination.  But to correct a reader and tell them they're wrong about what they've read?  Perhaps it was that I picked up on the defensiveness of the author.

Don't spend money to attempt to read this particular book.  It's a mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment